Welcome!

This page is under construction.  Check back soon for updated content. 

1959

Color accents in the front were obtained through panels of rust and blue.  Grey heat absorbing plate

How it All Started

In 1959, Robert Cossette and Henry (Hank) Grinalds were working for a large glass and metal distribution retailer.   Both had reached an age when they knew they had to decide whether to continue working for someone else or establish a business of their own.    They decided the later.


In March, 1959, the two men formed Acme Glass, Inc.  They built a six-figure volume during the first nine months of operation, raising it 50% in 1960, and continuing to boost volume high enough to justify the move to a new building built to their specifications.  This was accomplished in spite of a recession which hit Spokane in 1959 and a three-month strike of union glaziers the same year. 

New Building

Cossette and Grinalds decided to build a new place of business where they could promote automotive installations and drop-in trade by presenting a more attractive business establishment and by stocking and promoting  greater variety of hardware.  They chose to build at East 7225 Sprague Ave with a move-in date of June 1, 1959.   They designed the building to provide a handsome glass and metal storefront and a convenient, labor saving  work area.  A railroad spur was recently being built to bring carload lots directly to the rear door of the warehouse.

The offices were divided by grey lite #14 and obscure glass.

The offices are divided by greylite #14 and obscure glass.

image56

1971

House of Aluminum, Inc. purchased C & S Glass and Paint located at 13220 Government Way, which was established in 1958. 

1975

Hank Grinalds starts construction of a new 50,000 square-foot manufacturing facility @ 5414 E Broadway, across the street from their facility @ 5417 E Broadway Ave. 

1988

Northwest Aluminum Products is formed.

1991

Northwest Aluminum Products is purchased by Jeld-Wen, Inc. of Klamath Falls Oregon.

1993

Northwest Aluminum Products changes it's name to Northwest Windows & Patio Doors and starts manufacturing vinyl windows in addition to aluminum products.

image57

1996

Northwest Windows & Patio Doors changes it's name to Summit Window & Patio Door.

1998

Summit Window & Patio Door (Spokane location only) ceases vinyl window manufacturing and is now solely manufacturing aluminum products.